Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Poker Is Fun For Everyone

I woke up at 11:00 AM this morning, unsure of what side of the country I would fall asleep on. I could either go back home and catch up with friends and rest up before Heavy Pets tour, or I could stay out here, see who makes a run in the main event and maybe play Bellagios WPT event. After talking to Ryan and Sonny, it didnt seem like there was much waiting for me in NY. Sonny seemed to have it right when he said, "if u can't make it back for Bobby in Central Park, there is no point in coming back during the week".

I jumped online, checked some email, jetblue flights, and NYC's 10-day weather forecast (didn't look too promising). I quickly won 6000 on pokerstars playing 100-200 limit and the idea of playing the WPT Bellagio event that started in the next few days started to make more sense.

I had a bunch of errands to do, including heading over to the Rio to take care of some things. While at the Rio, my buddy Matt Woodward happened to be at the feature table during his day 1 of the main event. The funny thing was that they were at the table because Phil Helmuth was at there table, but Phil didnt show up for over 2 hours. Anyways, Matt should get a lot of TV time and he ended the day with 95,000 chips! GO WOODROW

Back to my day, I arrived back to the Bellagio and decided to check out the tournament room. A 1000 single table was filling up and I decided to play. It turned out to be the absolute WORST single table satelittle I have ever been a part of. We got to the 500-1000 level, without busting one person, this is very possibly a satellite record. Someone commented we all deserved some sort of trophy/ribbon for being in the nittiest sit and go ever, I agreed. Anyways I busted from that after 2 and a half hours, and I was pretty unhappy with my decision to play a 1 table satellite when I could have been grinding cash games.

It was 6:00 when I got back to my room and there was a 10:00 super satellite on the horizon, I was about to lay down for a nap but I decided to jump on the computer first. I lost 4300 before I could blink and now I was up only $600 dollars on the day, I hated poker again, after loving life 3 hours earlier. I decided to take a nap and see how I felt when I woke up.
I woke up at 9 feeling great, as I normally do after naps (I really should nap more), and I headed down to play the Super Satellite. 125 people started, 18 people get a 10K seat. By the bubble I was the far ahead chipleader, I was moving in dark every hand and poker was fun again. I won my seat and will be playing the 10K Bellagio Cup 3, starting Wednesday.

The best part of the day was right after the satellite when I started calling all my friends who had just got done with day 1d of the WSOP Main Event. I had a bunch of good friends all playing today and the updates were almost all spectacular. I am very pumped for them all, and I hope they make me stay out here for another week.

Here are some chip counts :

Justin Sadauskas 98,000
Matt Syzmaszek 97,000
Matt Woodward 95,000

These 3 are some of my best friends in poker, Matt Smaz and I have pretty much mirrored eachothers poker careers since the days of grinding out $15-30 limit hold em, and him making a run would be so sweet (especially cause I have a little sweat piece taboot!)

Even tho I am out of the Main Event, I am still super enegerzined about it cause I have small pieces of TEN left in the field. Most of these guys have above average chips, and all of them have above average talent.

For you guys who check the updates, this is what my dream final table would look like.

Matt Syzmaszek
Matt Woodward
Justin Sadauskas
David Wells (has 39,000)
Steve Giufre (has 48,000, another of my very best friends in poker, played Day 1C)
Kyle Wilson (has 97,000)
Jon Spahn (has 65,000)
Courtney Harrington (has over 100 I think)
Rocking Ray Henson (120,000)
James Gorham (67,000)

Also I have a few friends who i do not have pieces of that I am also rooting for like Evelyn Ng, Carl Olson (top 10 in chips!) and Gavin Griffin to name a few...


Anyways thats enough rambling for 7 AM...moral of the story, there is still life after busting out of the main event.

P.S. has anyone seen or heard from Al "SugarBear" Barbieri? Did he play the Main Event? The answer to this question is pretty important to me, so if u have any info, let me know.

7 Comments:

Blogger scarlet said...

good choice. plus vegas has those sprinklers that mist you all the time outside. at least that's what i remember from 13 years ago. also, it was too hot to go see bobby. some may disagree, but beer + cigarettes + sun + 8 million degrees = puke.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats man. Please tell me the guy in the pink shirt didn't get a seat. I'm not sure how much I like my shove with AQ. I'm really just hoping it's a race or that you might fold AQ or a mid pair. Although I don't know if I can fold given my stack size.

I was thinking of going back tonight to play a 1k single table, but after reading about your experience I might not. Were the starting chips/blind levels at least decent? Playing another super satellite seems kinda ridiculous considering that they run util 4am and the tourny starts at noon. Let me know what you think of the single tables and best of luck in the event.

-Chris (UNLV sweatshirt kid)

11:40 AM  
Blogger Leather Ass Grinder said...

Whats up Chris, glad u found me on here...Im pretty sure your AQs push was fine, but I forget the exact numbers. I didnt have a super loose range raising under the gun there, but I certainly had loosened up a decent amount because of normal satellite strategy and would have surely raised many pairs, AJo, KQ etc in that spot and probably other hands (I forget the exact situation and table dynamics).

I thought it was hilarious by the way, people folding 88 and ATs suited to u on your 8 times the big blind pushes!

About the single tables...man I dont know, the structure is fine, 20 minute levels, 10K chips and u start at 25-50. I'm sure u are a favorite, but there seems to be a lot more luck in those than the supers (I guess that is obv).

If u get a tight table its a pretty blah spot, but if u get a few people to blow themselves out early then the structure probably allows u to really pick your spots and could be good. My only experience is that one table and it was way worse than the 2 1K satellites I played at Rio earlier in the month. Probably the later in the night the better, mine was mid-day.

The thing is, all of it depends on your bankroll etc. I still kind of agree with the theory that playing a satellite when u wouldn't buy in to the main event is theoretically not that smart. If u are a winning online player (I assume u are) then your hourly rate is almost definitely better doing stuff online than sitting in the single tables SNGS when they arent super soft.

Anyways, one way or another we should exchange contact info, make sure u say hi if u see me around the bellagio the next few days. I have some great stories from the rest of the super too, and yes I think the pink shirt guy made it.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Leather Ass Grinder said...

Yes they still have the sprinklers Scarlet.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool, shoot me an email. I'd like to hear how the rest of the super went.

drakecs@gmail.com

-Chris

3:04 PM  
Blogger AdamBoom said...

Poker-Iz_Fun,For_Ev-Ry-One

spirit rock

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home